'Chiropractic Checkup From the Neck Up'
SEMINAR Presented by Dr. Shawn Thistle
8 Structured Continuing-Education (ON) / Competence Credit (AB) Hours
“Doc, my neck felt great after our last treatment a few months ago, but I’ve been dizzy lately…”
New patient: “I’ve never had a headache this bad before…can you quickly adjust me?”
“I had a concussion two months ago and I still don’t feel right…”
Chiropractors are optimally positioned to assess, diagnose and manage many conditions that affect patients ‘from the neck up’. Neck pain, headache and dizziness are ubiquitous, but not all cases are simple and predictable. Add recent or prior concussion to the mix and things can get complicated! Multimorbid or complex cases are challenging – no matter the patient’s age – and deserve a carefully-crafted clinical approach, from relevant history taking to contextual examination and successful, safe management.
In this unique program, Dr. Thistle will help you integrate recent evidence and best practices into your patient care with his entertaining, clinically-applicable style of speaking.
- Headache and dizziness differential diagnosis and assessment
- Concussion assessment and management
- Ruling out potential emergent stroke in your neck pain/headache patients
- Integration of manual therapy, vestibular rehabilitation and other ‘from the neck up’ techniques for your patients
This informative, clinically-relevant Seminar will sharpen your clinical thought-process, enhance your diagnostic accuracy, raise your confidence, assist in insulating you from legal issues and improve outcomes for your patients!
Section 1: Differential Diagnosis & Assessment of Headache & Dizziness
Headaches and dizziness are common, ranging from a daily nuisance to disabling and life-changing for our patients. Chiropractors can skillfully triage, assess and manage these conditions for most patients – but arriving at the correct diagnosis is paramount in formulating effective treatment strategies! This section will focus on differential diagnosis and relevant clinical testing procedures for your patients with headache and/or dizziness.
Section 2: Concussion
Concussion in sporting environments is common, but this injury can also occur in occupational settings, motor vehicle collisions, falls, and so on. Chiropractors may see acute injuries as sideline clinicians, but also frequently encounter patients with a history of concussion. Evidence in this area is evolving rapidly, in terms of best practices that all chiropractors should be aware of.
Section 3: The Dissection Connection - Is this patient having a stroke?
Finally, a contemporary discussion about this controversial topic based on evidence and practice realities. Protect your patients and insulate yourself and your practice from legal issues by reviewing and implementing best practices throughout the clinical encounter!
Section 4: Treatment Considerations From ‘the neck up'!
In this final section, we will explore the literature pertaining to the complex interplay between cervical spine function, headaches, dizziness and post-concussion symptoms, emphasizing clinical decision making and summarizing the day’s information via case examples and discussion.
- Review common differential diagnoses and assessment strategies for the dizzy patient as well as common headache presentations
- Summarize contemporary knowledge on concussion, with emphasis on assessment and management considerations for chiropractor
- Explore the literature pertaining to the complex interplay between cervical spine function and dizziness, persistent post-concussion symptoms, neck pain and headache
- Integrate best practices into your clinical approach for ruling our emergent stroke in neck pain and headache patients
- Review the evidence on the appropriateness and efficacy of manual therapy for concussion, headache and cervicogenic dizziness
DATES & LOCATIONS
Super Early Bird Rate $399
Saturday February 29/2020 Thunder Bay ON
Sunday April 5/2020 Ottawa ON
Sunday April 19/2020 London ON
Sunday April 26/2020 Calgary AB
Sunday May 31/2020 Toronto North ON
Sunday June 14/2020 Toronto ON
RRS Education Seminars Include: light breakfast, lunch with wine or beer and afternoon snacks
DIETARY RESTRICTIONS: if you have special needs please NOTIFY US at least 1 week prior to the event